This recipe has been a Thanksgiving tradition in my family for years. It is the side dish that we all agree is a must, right up there in importance with the turkey itself! It is our most requested recipe and now it is yours to savor, drool over and give thanks for!!!
- 6 generous servings (double for Thanksgiving–at least)
- ½ cup butter
- 1 cup quick cooking fine pearl barley
- 1 medium onion
- ½ cup slivered almonds
- 1 – 2 oz. package dehydrated onion soup mix
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup fresh mushrooms, sautéed in 1 TBL. Butter
- 1 – 5 oz. can water chestnuts (sliced & drained)
- Heat butter in saucepan. Add barley & onion, sauté until golden color.
- Add almonds, soup mix & chicken broth.
- Add mushrooms & water chestnuts, stir well.
- Pour into casserole dish, cover and bake at 350º for one hour; add more broth if necessary.
- Can be prepared 1-2 days ahead of time.
- Bake the day of serving.